Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Doctor's Appt today

18 week appointment today. Baby Bean Dip's heart rate measured 166 bpm, which is normal. I met one of the new doctors to the practice and was less than impressed. As she was palpating my uterus she exclaims, "Wow, your uterus is all the way to your belly button! That is really big for an 18 weeker!" Me, stunned, says, "Well, could it be because this is my second child?" She gives me a blank look and says, "Uh, yeah, I guess so." And then continues on, business as usual.
What the fuck? Why would you say that to a pregnant woman? Or anyone in general? That would be like a doctor examining you and saying, "Holy shit, take a look at that gnarly mole! Those aren't supposed to look like that! Jesus, that is terrible!" Patient says, "Could it be cancer?" Doctor says, "Uh, yeah, I guess so. Now lets discuss why your hair isn't as shiny as it should be."
Of course Dr. Google has told me that having a bigger than expected uterus is caused by having too much amniotic fluid. Which is caused by various and sundry birth defects, most of which are incompatible with life outside the womb.
I am pissed at myself that I didn't ask more questions. I guess I just figure that if it was something to really worry about the doctor would handle it. But I really need to be more proactive in my health care and less trusting that something that should be noticed will be. I know I will be getting a detailed ultrasound in a week's time, which is probably what would happen if something were really wrong. But doctors shouldn't say shit like that to people and have it go unchecked. If I were really a dedicated person I would call the doctor back and make her explain what she said and ask her if something truly could be wrong.
But I won't.
I will just freak out until Tuesday and go from there.

3 comments:

Adrianne said...

I am sure everything is fine! What a bitch for saying that!

Depressionista said...

Hey Cate,
First, thanks for visiting my blog the other day! It was nice of you to stop by and offer your support.

Congrats on Baby Bean Dip...I think it was really irresponsible of that doctor to say that and then not follow-up on it. It's almost like just saying, "Here's something for you to worry about until next time...have fun!"

It probably just means you have a big Baby Bean Dip in there! Was your son a big baby? Everyone was all freaked out about the size of my uterus and it turned out I just had a big boy--he was 7 lbs., 12 oz. at 34.5 weeks when he was born.

Hope Tuesday goes well...I'll be checking back. Take care.

Amanda said...

What a fucking idiot. Seriously. Let's throw things at her.